A chicken shop owner has been hit with a fine after dead decaying insects and a host of other problems were discovered.
Sraj Alosh, 49, who ran Chicken Orleans on Rigby Road, pleaded guilty to five food hygiene offences at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court after a visit by environmental health officers in June last year.
During the visit, officers found a build up of dead, decayed insects inside an electric fly killer along with broken glass panels in a hot holding cabinet containing several pieces of chicken.
“Ready to eat” chicken in the hot holding cabinet was stored at 48.3°C - well below the legal requirement of 63°C. This could have resulted in the multiplication of poisonous bacteria.
An employee was unable to tell the officers the critical limit for hot holding food. The employee said that the chicken had been on display for two hours, however the food safety management system for the business stated that it should be for no longer than 30 minutes.
Floors, chiller units, switches, sockets, shelving and work surfaces were also found to be filthy at the takeaway. Another breach was flaking plastic on the underside of shelving which could have resulted in the physical contamination of food.
He had previously been warned by officers to improve standards with hygiene improvement notices served in 2012. He also received a caution in 2013.