The family of a 15-year-old boy who they say was a victim of police brutality have blasted officers who arrested him amid a late-night mass brawl in Blackpool.
Since the disturbance in the town centre following Friday’s fireworks display, videos have emerged online that appear to show a police officer hitting a suspect as he is pinned to the floor.
The parents of Brooklyn Newton, 15, say he is the boy in the videos, which have been widely shared on Facebook.
Mum Cora Macfarlane, of Egerton Road, North Shore, said: “They have got no right to treat him like that. If we did that we would be locked up.
“He was just lying on the ground and she started beating him – he wasn’t even moving or resisting.”
The family say they have since contacted Lancashire Police to complain and are considering contacting the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
However, the force insists the response of officers was “reasonable” in the circumstances.
Brooklyn, who admits he was one of a group of people that had been “mouthing off”, said the incident has left him with hearing damage.
He insists he was not resisting arrest at the time the video appears to show an officer hitting him, while he was pinned down.
He added: “I did resist (arrest) once but then they got me and put me on the ground.
“I hit the ground and I blanked out and they just started punching me in the head. It was horrible, I don’t even want to go out anymore.
“I went to the hospital and they said my hearing has dropped in my left ear.”
He was arrested and released without further action.
He claims the large-scale disturbance, reported in Tuesday’s Gazette, only “kicked off” when he was arrested.
Insp James Martin, of Blackpool Police, said: “Officers are fully trained in restraint techniques and can use whatever force is necessary and reasonable when trying to detain a person who is resisting arrest.
“Officers were placed in a position of danger when detaining the youth in the video and we are satisfied that he was detained safely and lawfully.”