A landlord has been ordered to pay more than £10,000 after admitting to failures to comply with housing safety laws.
Peter Hall, 76, from Bury, pleaded guilty on Thursday at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court to failure to licence his property and also failure to provide an electrical safety certificate for the same property.
Magistrates heard Hall owned a four-storey block of nine flats on South Promenade in St Annes which has since been sold to a new owner.
The law requires a house in multiple occupation – HMO – licence for rented properties of three storeys or more and also for rented properties housing five or more people living as separate families.
Yet Hall was unable to provide the HMO licence and electrical safety certificate when housing officers from Fylde Council went to make safety checks in January 2014.
Further checks, made in April 2014 and in October 2014, revealed that Hall was still failing to comply.
Magistrates fined Hall £5,000 for failure to licence the property.
They fined him a further £1,000 for failure to provide an electrical safety certificate.
Hall was also ordered to pay £120 Victim Surcharge and £4,500 costs.
Tom Birtwistle, Fylde Council senior environmental health officer, said: “Housing legislation exists to ensure that tenants are safe and have proper standards of housing.
“It must be complied with.
“We gave Mr Hall repeated opportunities to comply but he repeatedly failed to do so.
“The council takes housing standards very seriously and we will continue to take enforcement action wherever and whenever necessary.”