DCSIMG

Guilty pleas after spa burns horror

The Dalmeny Hotel, St Annes

The Dalmeny Hotel, St Annes

 

A beauty salon worker at a Fylde coast hotel became engulfed in flames as she treated a customer’s nails.

Julia McKeown, spa manager at the seafront Dalmeny Hotel at St Annes suffered burns to her hands, arms, chest and stomach, some of which were full thickness of her skin after the incident in January 2012, Blackpool magistrates court heard.

Before the court, the company which owns the hotel pleaded guilty to three charges brought by Fylde Council which investigated the incident.

It admitted failing in its duty under safety regulations to the manager by exposing her to a risk of injury.

It also admitted two offences of failing to prepare proper risk assessments for their staff.

Clare Holmes, prosecuting on behalf of Fylde Council, told the court: “This is a family hotel with its own leisure centre and beauty salon.

“Julia McKeown is the manager of the salon and she was engulfed in flames whileworking there.

“She was dealing with a client’s nails and was pouring acetone onto a pad when the liquid spilled out.

“It spilled onto the uniform she was wearing.

“On the floor below her was a lantern with a lit candle in it.

“The vapours from acetone caught fire and then she caught fire.

“She was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital and to the specialist burns unit at Royal Preston Hospital.

“She suffered 15 per cent burns to her body some of them full thickness.”

The prosecutor said an investigation was started by the local authority and directors of the Dalmeny interviewed.

She added: “The investigation revealed there was no risk assessment of what went on in the beauty salon.”

David Walton – for the Dalmeny – successfully asked for the case to be dealt with by the magistrates rather than having it sent to crown court.

The company faces a maximum £20,000 fine on each charge.

It will be sentenced at a later date.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page