Former Blackpool boss Colin Hendry denies assaulting ex

Former Scotland defender Colin Hendry
Former Scotland defender Colin Hendry
0
Have your say

Former football star Colin Hendry today made his first appearance at court charged with a seven-week campaign of harassing his ex-girlfriend.

The prosecution claims this culminated in Hendry assaulting the woman by grabbing her arm several times in the street.

He pleaded not guilty to harassment and the assault when he appeared before Blackpool Magistrates today.

The 49-year-old former Scotland defender, who played in the Premier League, is accused of harassing the 40-year-old woman between March 1 and April 24 this year..

The ex-Blackpool FC boss had a five-year relationship with the complainant.

The couple parted and Hendry received a notice from the police on February 5 this year, said Crown Prosecutor Pam Smith.

The couple got back together for a short time but after they split up again, the Crown alleges his behaviour against her resumed.

Father-of-four Hendry, of Coopers Row, Ansdell, is said to have bombarded her with unwanted emails.

He is also alleged to have spent hours outside her bungalow home in the town, in breach of a restraining notice.

Hugh Pond, defending, said his client said he had only visited the alleged victim’s home a couple of times and said there had been no assault.

“He was merely helping this woman get into a taxi,” said Mr Pond.

Hendry’s trial is set to take place on August 3.

He was bailed on the condition he does not contact his ex-girlfriend and does not to enter the road where she lives.