Football Club raid caught on camera

Police are urging the public to see if they recognise the men who carried out the safe from the Football Club.

Police are urging the public to see if they recognise the men who carried out the safe from the Football Club.

  • by Elizabeth Broughton

THIS is the shocking moment a gang of raiders burgled Fleetwood Town Football Club.

The four men – one brazenly wearing a Cod Army scarf round his neck – stole two safes and a flatscreen television after forcing their way into the Highbury Avenue stadium.

Police today released CCTV images of the raiders – seen wheeling a safe out on a trolley – as they appeal to members of the public for help in identifying them.

Officers say the raid “has affected the heart of the local community”.

They believe the men used equipment such as an angle grinder, crowbar and hammer to get through the gate close to Memorial Park, before forcing their way through a door into one of the stands.

It is thought the thieves were inside the football club for a considerable amount of time after breaking in sometime between 8pm on Saturday, January 26 and 8am the following day.

Police are appealing for anyone who recognises the men pictured in the images to come forward, and have reassured the local community a “thorough investigation” is underway.

A number of properties have been searched by specialist officers in connection with the burglary and a 41-year-old Fleetwood man is currently on police bail after being arrested on suspicion of burglary last month.

Det Insp Phil Jones, from Lancashire Police, said: “I would urge people to take a close look at the CCTV images and if anybody recognises the men or has any information that could assist with our investigation id ask them to get in touch.

“We have a team of dedicated detectives from Fleetwood CID working on this case with assistance from our Operational Support Units.

“This is a crime which has affected the heart of the local community, targeting the popular and successful local football club and we urge the local community to work with the police to find the offenders who have committed this crime.”

Police have revealed the burglars left through the same route they entered the stadium and may have been spotted in the surrounding streets either before or after the raid.

The incident happened just hours after the League Two side defeated Oxford United 3-0 at Highbury.

Three of the four offenders were dressed in dark clothing and had their faces covered. One was wearing a luminous jacket and another man had a scarf and hat on.

Anyone with information should contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.


Back to the top of the page