A man accused of fracturing another man’s jaw in two places after a fracas over neighbouring students being noisy in their accommodation has made his first appearance at court.
Isaac Guy is also alleged to have attacked two other men in the same incident.
Guy, 21, of Poulton Street, Fleetwood, is charged with one offence of wounding a man causing him grievous bodily harm and two charges of assault.
The offences are alleged to have taken place on July 4 last year at Fleetwood.
Guy is also alleged to have failed to disclose the pin number of a mobile phone when required by police.
Martine Connah, prosecuting, asked for the case to be heard at crown court.
Hugh Pond, defending, said his client would not indicate pleas to the offences at that stage.
Guy was bailed to appear at Preston Crown Court on February 17 by Blackpool magistrates and must not enter the boundary of 88 Poulton Road, Fleetwood, as a condition of his bail.
• A woman using a mobility scooter stole meat from a store.
Katrina Wild grabbed £26 worth of meat, put it in a bag on the floor of the scooter and drove off.
Wild, 34, of Coronation Road, Cleveleys, pleaded guilty to theft and breaching a conditional discharge imposed for shoplifting.
She was fined £75 and ordered to pay £20 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.
Pam Smith, prosecuting, said a staff member at the Cleveleys branch of Marks and Spencer saw Wild steal the meat and ride off on the mobility scooter on December 16. She was followed and stopped.
Wild told police she intended to sell the meat because she needed money to get to an appointment with her probation officer.
Patrick Nelligan, defending, said: “Pre-Christmas she was struggling with her finances and she was desperate to get to her probation appointment.”
• A man threatened to kill and slice up his estranged girlfriend and her family before smashing his way into her home on Christmas Eve.
Paul Tebay said he had lived at the address in Colchester Road, Cleveleys, for a year previously and still paid some bills there so he thought it would be okay to break-in because he was very cold.
Tebay, a 32-year-old welder, of Springfield Road, Kearsley, Bolton, pleaded guilty to causing damage.
He was given a 12 months conditional discharge and ordered to pay £50 compensation with £85 costs plus £15 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.
Malcolm Isherwood, prosecuting, said Tebay had been speaking to his estranged girlfriend on the phone on December 23, and he threatened to kill and slice up her and her family.
She alerted police and was moved out of her Cleveleys home.
The next day she returned to collect a handbag and found Tebay in the kitchen surrounded by glass from a window he had broken.
When interviewed, Tebay said he had come in his camper van to the resort to see his young son.
He had intended sleeping in the van but it broke down and he had to leave it.
He found no-one at home and decided to break the window to get in to the address to sleep as it was very cold.
Tebay said his estranged partner had threatened him in a phone call and he retaliated.
He said it did not mean anything and that they were always saying things like that to each other.
Imran Majid, defending, said his client had no previous convictions.
The couple had a difficult relationship and in the heat of the moment things were often said which were not meant. Tebay had firmly believed he could damage the window to get in.
• A 56-year old Fleetwood man, who spent time working offshore, thought his benefits had been cancelled.
But James McLeod was wrong and it landed him in court.
McLeod, of Chatsworth Avenue, admitted failing to declare a change in his circumstances which would have affected his entitlement to Housing Benefit and Employment Support Allowance.
In all he was overpaid £8,254, Blackpool Magistrates were told by prosecutor Malcolm Isherwood.
McLeod was placed on curfew for eight weeks and ordered to pay £145 costs.
Patrick Nelligan, defending, said he worked for many years offshore and left his wife to sort out his finances.
McLeod thought that his benefits had stopped when he stopped sending in sick notes after a period of illness.
• A woman cheated the benefits system out of more than £30,000 when she failed to declare cleaning work she was doing.
Sixty three-year-old Yvonne Thomas’s fraud was spread over a 14 year period Blackpool Magistrates were told.
Her claims were legitimate at the outset when she suffered a horse riding injury but she recovered enough to do work.
However, she failed to tell the Department of Work and Pensions and her local authority.
As a result she was overpaid £31,916 in Disabled Living Allowance,Council Tax Benefit, Income Support and Employment Support Allowance.
Malcolm Isherwood, prosecuting,said the Crown would be making a Proceeds of Crime application to get money back and that would have to be heard by a Crown Court judge.
Magistrates sent Thomas, of Rookwood Avenue, Cleveleys, for sentence at the higher court. She was bailed and pre sentence reports are to be compiled on her in the meantime.
The court heard how investigators found that regular payments were being paid into the defendant’s bank account. They also found a single deposit of £30,000 made to her.
At her first interview under caution she refused to say where this money had come from but later admitted doing cleaning work and errands for which she was paid.
She said the £30,000 was an inheritance for her daughter which was paid into the mother’s account to protect the money from falling into the hands of the daughter’s boyfriend described during the hearing as “an unsavoury character familiar with the courts.”
Thomas admitted four offences of fraud committed between 2005 and 2014.
• A convicted child sex offender who covertly filmed young girls and made lewd comments has been jailed after police found a compilation of clips on his phone.
Andrew Threappleton 48, made sickening suggestions to two schoolgirls, aged 12 and 13, on a bus in Cleveleys, Preston Crown Court heard.
He was arrested after a police appeal and officers who seized his phone found a catalogue of disturbing footage of other girls and young women.
Threappleton, of no fixed abode, admitted inciting a child to commit a sexual act and two counts of outraging public decency. He was jailed for 18 months.
The court heard the 48-year-old, whose last known address was in Blackpool, was arrested in May after a photo of him appeared in the press following the incident on the bus on April 21. He has been in jail ever since.
When police went through his phone they found evidence of 11 incidents, six of which were deemed criminal offences.
He could be heard on the footage making lurid comments with the camera trained on his victims’ legs and cleavages.
Judge Andrew Woolman described the behaviour as ‘worrying’.
He added: “You deliberately sat behind two girls who were young.
“You were muttering to yourself sexual comments – but some were directed at the girls.
“I accept by and large you were doing this for the gratification of saying it and the joy of filming it but not believing at any point the girls would do what you asked them to.”
The court heard Threappleton had previous convictions, including child abduction.
Jacob Dyer, prosecuting, said the 48-year-old got on the bus after the young girls, who got on near Lauderdale Avenue.
He added: “He chose to sit just behind the 12-year-old and he started to mutter things to her, things like ‘get your breasts out’ and ‘have you got your knickers on?’
“He had been filming one of the girl’s legs, filming covertly.
“He can be heard making indecent comments on that footage.”
In a prepared statement, he denied he had said anything.
One of the counts of outraging public decency relates to a clip from January last year where he follows a schoolgirl and tells her to lift up her skirt and ‘show her panties’.
The second relates to a clip of two women to whom he makes disgusting remarks.
Defending, Anthony Longworth said: “He has accepted comments were to be heard by the girls and would inevitably be distressing.”
In 2001, Threappleton was jailed for nine months by Leeds Crown Court for abducting a 14-year-old girl he met in a school playground.
They began a relationship and ended up spending the night together but Threappleton, who admitted child abduction, denied they had sex.
He was given a 10-year sexual harm prevention order banning him using filming equipment on buses.