A REST home owner who put the lives of his elderly residents in jeopardy has admitted flouting a string of fire safety laws.
Pensioners had to be evacuated after a blaze broke out at the Ambassador Rest Home, in South Shore, last year.
And it was in the aftermath firefighters discovered a catalogue of safety breaches - including a Santa’s grotto which was blocking an exit route.
Director David Moseley – from D.M.Care Ltd, which runs the home – admitted seven charges at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court .
A spokesman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service, which brought the charges, said: “It was in the aftermath of a fire these breaches were noticed.
“Our whole purpose is to work with landlords to ensure that people under their roofs are safe, and that was not the case in this case, which is what led to this action.”
The charges admitted by the firm involve failings relating to the home’s fire evacuation procedures, risk assessments, emergency exit routes, staff training, the fitting of approved fire detection devices and alarms, the marking of exit routes and putting the grotto on the main exit route.
These put the residents at risk of death or serious injury.
The fire broke out on the ground floor of the Lytham Road home on January 6, last year.
The case was adjourned by magistrates in the resort until March 19, to allow the accounts for the limited company dating back three years to be produced to aid the court in assessing the fine it can impose.