Father sexually abused his own daughter

Preston Crown Court
Preston Crown Court
0
Have your say

A Fylde man has been warned by a judge he faces a jail term after a jury convicted him of sexually abusing his own baby daughter.

At the same time, he was cleared of an allegation that he had sexually assaulted the child in a cubicle at Blackpool Victoria Hospital.

The 25-year-old, who cannot be named in order to protect the child’s identity, had denied four charges of a serious sexual assault, but was found guilty on unanimous verdicts at the end of a Preston Crown Court trial.

He was found not guilty of one further charge of sexual assault. He has now been further remanded in custody.

Judge Christopher Cornwall told him: “There is no alternative to immediate custody in the light of the findings of the jury.

“Sentence is being adjourned for a pre-sentence report because there has to be a risk assessment carried out.”

The child’s mother, aged 21, was convicted of a charge of child neglect and has been remanded on bail.

The judge apologised to the jury by saying: “I am sorry we have inflicted such a distressing case upon you. We cannot try these cases unless people such as yourselves are willing to sit on a jury”.

The jury had heard how doctors found injuries on the baby which strongly suggested a sexual connotation after the child was taken to the Victoria Hospital earlier this year.

The prosecution maintained the man had carried out sexual abuse on the baby prior to its admission.

The father had phoned NHS Direct on the 111 number. He dialled 999 for an ambulance and the baby was taken to hospital, with the parents going too.

It was alleged that a health care assistant found the father carrying out a sexual assault on the child next day in a cubicle at the hospital. He was cleared of that allegation.

Both defendants were said to have a degree of learning disability.

Neither gave evidence themselves during their trial.

The man had told police that when washing the baby he would try to clean her.

The prosecution alleged that the mother had known he was roughly handing the child when bathing it, but did nothing.

Sentencing will take place on September 23.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.