Detectives insist they will catch sex offender

The alleyway leading onto the Grange Park estate and (below) an evofit of the attacker.
The alleyway leading onto the Grange Park estate and (below) an evofit of the attacker.
0
Have your say

A TOP detective has vowed to catch a sick sex attacker who preyed on young teenage girls in Blackpool and is still loose.

Det Chief Insp Andrea Barrow, leading the investigation, said a dedicated team of officers continue to hunt for the man, who carried out the terrifying assaults on two teens in an alleyway leading to Grange Park.

An evofit of the attacker

An evofit of the attacker

Speaking two months on from the last attack, she told The Gazette: “It’s been a traumatic event for both of these girls, quite frightening.

“We feel passionate about finding this man and bringing him to justice.

“We have a team dedicated to this case who work on it every day.

“What we’re looking for is where this offender may have come from, where does he live, where does he work?

“He does appear to know the area well – the fact he has been there twice. We think he is probably local or maybe comes to the area for work.”

Both incidents happened in an alleyway leading to Grange Park, next to the bowling green, off Garstang Road.

In the latest attack, on June 14, a girl was subjected to a serious sexual assault after being grabbed on the path.

Another girl had beengrabbed by a man on June 1. He ran off when she screamed.

Police released a computer generated image of the man they are hunting last month and have posted leaflets appealing for information in shops in the area.

A 21-year-old man who was initially arrested in connection with the incidents and a 16-year-old boy who was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and attempted rape last month have both been released without charge.

Det Chief Insp Barrow added: “We’ve had a fantastic response from the public and I’m really grateful. People have come forward suggesting who they think he may be. We have followed up all lines of inquiry.

“I’d ask the public to please continue to contact us with information, if there is something niggling at the back of your mind.

“People in the area are understandably concerned –that’s why we have had officer carrying out high visibility patrols.

“They are really pleased to see all the officers out there, talking to them.”

The offender in both incidents is described as a white male, aged 16 to 18-years-old, and around 5ft 9in tall with short blondish hair.

Anyone with information can call Blackpool Police on 101.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.