DCSIMG

Cell doors shut on drunken attacker

Christopher Daws

Christopher Daws

A drunken thug who attacked two men in separate unprovoked assaults, fracturing the jaw of one of his victims, has been jailed for 18 months.

Preston Crown Court heard one of Christopher Daws’ victims needed surgery to insert metal plates to a fractured jaw, while the other, a 19-year-old man with braces on his teeth, needed three root canal treatments and lost half a stone in weight because he was unable to eat.

Daws, 22, of Ashfield Road, Bispham, pleaded guilty to offences of inflicting grievous bodily harm, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and sexual assault on a 17-year-old girl.

Prosecutors said in the first attack an 18-year-old man was “poleaxed” by a punch hard to his face outside Flares nightclub. He and another man had been talking to each other when Daws came up from behind and hit him.

The blow fractured his lower jaw, which prosecutors said needed an operation to fix.

Later, just after 3.15am, around the same area, when he approached a group of friends, Daws sexually assaulted a girl.

A 19-year-old man told him in a non aggressive way: “Watch out, her boyfriend is over there”. Daws then began shouting and swearing.

The teenager began to walk off, but as he turned to see what was happening behind him, the defendant punched him in the mouth.

That victim was wearing braces on his teeth at the time. As a result, he went on to need emergency dental treatment to his front teeth.

As a result of his injury, the risk of him losing teeth had increased in the long term. He lost around half a stone in two weeks, unable to eat solids for a time.

The court heard all the offences took place in the early hours of July 19 this year around the Queen Street area. Despite running away from both attacks, Daws later handed himself in at the police station and was arrested.

The defendant had one previous conviction for battery and was apparently on a community order at the time of the three offences.

Paul Humphries, defending, said Daws felt great remorse for what happened.

“Since then he has clearly turned his life around. He no longer goes out in Blackpool and he no longer drinks alcohol at all.” Judge Stuart Baker told Daws he had acted in a “cowardly” way. Both victims of violence had not known what was coming to them.

He added: “The public must get the message that people who go out and get drunk and then gratuitously, without provocation, inflict serious violence on not just one but two separate occasions in less than two hours, will expect to receive prison sentences.”

Daws was given an 18-month conditional discharge for the sexual assault and will be on the Sex Offenders Register for the same period.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page