*

Stephen Butt collapsed outside his home on Park Lane, Preesall.

Stephen Butt collapsed outside his home on Park Lane, Preesall.

0
Have your say

A murder investigation sparked by the death of a man following a night out in Blackpool has been dropped.

Three people were arrested after Stephen Butt was found dead outside his Preesall home on Sunday, August 18.

Police have today confirmed a 30-year-old man from Manchester, arrested on suspicion of murder the day after Mr Butt’s death, has now been released from police bail without charge.

Two women, aged 50 and 25, both also from Manchester, were arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice.

Both have been released with no further action.

A spokeswoman for Lancashire Police said: “This was a thorough investigation, and after seeking advice from the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) there will be no further criminal investigation into this matter.”

Mr Butt, 50, had been on a night out in Blackpool with his partner and his family in the early hours of the day of his death.

Det Supt Andy Murphy, who led the investigation, said Mr Butt had been in Blackpool visiting town centre bars and pubs – in particular Hush and Yates – from around 12.40am.

He collapsed outside his home on Park Lane, Preesall, after getting a taxi there later that morning – between 5am and 6am.

He was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital where he died a short time later.

It was originally thought he had collapsed through illness, but police later revealed he may have died of a head injury.

A CPS spokesman said: “Lancashire police had decided that there was insufficient evidence for either a charge of murder or manslaughter, following the results of two post-mortems.

“They submitted a file to the CPS for us to consider potential charges against one suspect in relation to an offence of assault and against four suspects in relation to perverting the course of justice.

“We carried out a detailed review of the case in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors and decided that the charge of assault could not be proved because we could not establish that the suspect had not been acting in self-defence as he stated in his account to police.

“We also concluded that there was insufficient evidence to prove the offence of perverting the course of justice, due to conflicting evidence.

“We therefore concluded that there was no realistic prospect of conviction and advised the police that no charges should be brought against the suspects.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.