NEW calls were today made for a tram crossing to be re-opened after two road accidents in two days at the same spot.
On Saturday a Ford Fiesta struck safety barriers at the tramway on Fleetwood Road, close to the junction with Lauderdale Avenue in Anchorsholme.
Less than 24 hours later, a Ford Focus was involved in another collision in the same area.
Following the Saturday crash, the 20-year-old male driver of the Fiesta was taken to hospital suffering from cuts to his face.
An elderly female driver suffered minor injuries in the second incident which happened at 7.30pm on Sunday.
It is believed both drivers may have believed the old tram track crossing at Lauderdale Avenue was still open.
Anchorsholme ward councillor Tony Williams, who led a failed campaign to keep a vehicle crossing open at the junction, said: “The fact this happened so close to the closed crossing is worrying, maybe the drivers thought the crossing was still there.
“This dual carriageway is rarely used by visitors, and locals were aware the crossing had been there for years. When it was open it helped to slow traffic down.
“My fellow ward councillor, Coun Paul Galley, and I have warned the council a serious accident will happen on this road sooner or later and their stubbornness and arrogance in ignoring the public’s cry to have this crossing opened and traffic lights put in place is nothing short of disgraceful. As far as we’re concerned the closure was nothing more than the cheapest option for this council but in the long run it may cost them and some unfortunate victim dearly.”
Frank Bilsborrow, of Kelso Avenue, witnessed the aftermath of the first crash.
He said: “The car was a write off and about 30ft of concrete fencing was completely removed.
“We did warn the council that if they didn’t do something there would be accidents here.”
Blackpool Transport said there were no disruptions to the tram service as a result of the two incidents.
At the beginning of July a woman suffered leg injuries when she was struck by a tram while crossing the tracks at the Lauderdale Avenue junction.
John Donnellon, service director for built environment at Blackpool Council, said: “I understand there have been two collisions over the weekend in an area which is clearly no longer open to traffic.
“Despite the signage and concrete tramway fencing it appears two vehicles have tried to cross the tramway.
“We are speaking to the police to understand the details of both incidents and once it is clear what the cause was we will take any necessary measures to prevent a re-occurrence.”