Landlords across the resort will receive hundreds of smokes alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in a new move by county authorities.
More than 12,000 smoke alarms and 1,400 carbon monoxide detectors have been made available to landlords across Lancashire.
The move will benefit homes across Blackpool and comes as part of the Combined Fire Authority (CFA).
Coun Fred Jackson, cabinet member for municipal assets, said he welcomed the support.
Speaking at a full council meeting he said: “We were notified at the last meeting of the CFA the Government had made it compulsory for landlords to fit fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in properties and they have provided us with 12,080 smoke alarms and 1,420 carbon monoxide detectors across the whole area of Lancashire including Blackburn and Blackpool. That is good news.
“The bad news is that the money to enforce it is not there to help us.
“That responsibility falls on the local authority but it is a positive move to protect families and people in rented accommodation.”
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste.
It is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal or wood do not burn fully. When a fire burns in an enclosed space, such as a room, the oxygen is gradually used up and replaced with carbon dioxide. The fuel is unable to burn fully and releases carbon monoxide.
It is sometimes referred to as the “silent killer”.
Every year in the UK, more than 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, which leads to around 40 deaths.
Coun Allan Matthews added: “I would urge anyone to get a detector in their property.
“When we have got flats and holiday accommodation in this town we should make sure these detectors are fitted.”