DCSIMG

Veterans’ anger at ex-councillor’s crimes

Julian Mineur during an earlier court appearance

Julian Mineur during an earlier court appearance

Veterans today spoke of their disgust after former Blackpool councillor Julian Mineur, who helped set up a shop to assist ex-servicemen in the town, was found guilty of possessing and making 
indecent images of children.

Ernie Howe used to work at Supporting Our Brave, on Bank Hey Street, where Mineur claimed others would have had access to his 
laptop on which the 
sickening pictures were discovered.

Mineur, who represented Greenlands ward in Bispham, denied three counts of making indecent images of children and two of possessing indecent images of children, but was found guilty following a four-day trial at Preston Crown Court last week.

Mr Howe, an ex-serviceman, said: “That he had the audacity to involve people in the shop is disgusting.

“This trial has been a long while coming, but it was the right result in the end.

“Everybody feels let down by Julian, but most of all he has let himself down, especially since he was a councillor in Blackpool.”

During his trial, the court heard Mineur, 59, of Common Edge Road, was a member of the Fylde Ex-Service Liaison Committee, though its honorary secretary, Don Aitken, says he cannot see his name on any members’ lists.

Mr Aitken said: “I have worked with Julian quite a lot and I am totally amazed and disappointed at what happened.

“I had no idea that this was going on, so it came as quite a shock to a lot of people.”

The disgraced former councillor told he had “betrayed the people of Blackpool” by a current Greenlands councillor after he was convicted of the crimes.

The court heard how police discovered Mineur, who represented the Conservative Party on the Greenlands ward between 2007 and 2011, had accessed both still and moving images.

It came to light after officers carried out searches of his homes in Sackville Avenue and Common Edge Road, Blackpool.

Mineur was warned by the judge he may be sent to prison when he returns to court to be sentenced on March 6.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page