DCSIMG

RSPCA probing palm oil after scores of cases

BLACKPOOL GAZETTE
Kathryn Poulter from Bispham, with her dogs Lucy and Skye - she had to take her dogs to the vet after they ate a deadly substance, thought to be dangerous Palm Oil.

BLACKPOOL GAZETTE Kathryn Poulter from Bispham, with her dogs Lucy and Skye - she had to take her dogs to the vet after they ate a deadly substance, thought to be dangerous Palm Oil.

A dog-lover is warning walkers to keep their pets away from a deadly substance after her dogs were poisoned.

Kathryn Poulter was forced to rush her two golden retrievers to the vets when they were poisoned by Palm Oil - a waxy substance known to attack an animal’s liver - on Bispham beach.

The grandmother-of-two followed the guidance of the RSPCA in taking her pets, Skye and Lucy, to the vets within half an hour to be given an injection to clear their stomachs.

She said: “I was a bit panicked when I realised.

“I knew they had to go to the vets straight away, and I’m just glad I picked it up to have a look at it.

“I wouldn’t have dared to leave them because it’s supposed to be deadly.”

The toxic substance was first found on a Fylde coast beach in Cleveleys last month.

The 60-year-old, a medical secretary, was walking her dogs on Bispham beach and describes what she found as “soft, waxy and easy to break.”

She paid £60 for the surgery to treat her dogs and says she will only allow her pets on the beach if they are muzzled, and is warning other owners to do the same.

She added: “When I was walking on the Promenade I told people what I had found and it seems to have put them off going there.

“I’m thinking about getting two muzzles just so they don’t eat anything else.

“If the dog is prone to picking things up, which they do when they are young, then they should be muzzled.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page