Cold calling debate hots up

Blackpool Town Hall
Blackpool Town Hall
12
Have your say

DEMANDS have been stepped up for the Government to take action against cold calling.

Blackpool Council voted unanimously in December for tougher measures against companies which repeatedly intrude on people by dialling their numbers uninvited.

Chief executive Neil Jack wrote to business secretary Vince Cable calling for a ban on cold calling, but so far there has been no response from Westminster.

Coun Maxine Callow, who is leading the calls for something to be done, said: “I don’t think it’s good enough we haven’t had an answer.

“Cold calling is a nuisance to many people, and can be particularly upsetting for elderly people who live alone.

“Nearly everyone has experienced this problem. We had five phone calls in about three hours one Friday night which was a real nuisance. So I will be pushing for a response on this.”

The letter written by Mr Jack asks the Government to consider reviewing controls to combat cold calling.

It says: “I would suggest a complete ban on cold calling would be the ideal scenario, combined with an ‘opting in’ requirement rather than an ‘opting out’ presumption attached.”

Cold calling is one of the most frequent complaints raised at PACT (police and community together) meetings held around Blackpool.

Live marketing calls, recorded messages and abandoned or silent calls are among the main concerns.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.