Claims of “serious” breaches at holiday camp

Pontin's before it was demolished in St Annes
Pontin's before it was demolished in St Annes
0
Have your say

A FYLDE coast holiday camp has been accused of serious health and safety failures following the death of a tourist who contracted Legionnaires’ Disease.

Preston Crown Court heard Karen Taylor, 53, caught the bug while on holiday at the former Pontin’s holiday camp on Clifton Drive South in St Annes.

Pontin’s Ltd, which is currently in administration, is accused of breaching health and safety laws by putting holidaymakers and staff at risk of harm through the management of the water system at the camp.

During the opening of a two-day trial today, the prosecution said temperatures of water were such that it “promoted the proliferation of the bacteria”.

The court heard environmental health officers from Fylde Council visited the park in 2009 after another holidaymaker, Margaret Coop, was taken to hospital suffering a heart attack and symptoms associated with Legionnaires’ Disease.

They pointed out concerns about the water temperatures from the boiler which led to the chalet.

Management at Pontin’s gave assurances action would be taken.

Mrs Taylor, who was on holiday with her husband at Pontin’s, was then struck down by the disease in July 2009.

Preston Crown Court was told she used the shower and complained it was not hot enough but nothing was done.

She too fell ill days later.

She developed pneumonia and died at home in Northfields, Birmingham, on August 29, 2009.

A not guilty plea had been entered to two breaches of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 but there was no defendant present and the case was proceeding in the company’s absence.

(Proceeding)

FOR THE FULL STORY SEE TOMORROW’S GAZETTE