AN acrobat seriously injured in a gas explosion is still recovering in hospital three months after the terrifying blast.
Jumma Karani, 28, remains in a specialist unit receiving treatment for burns to his head, arms and legs after being caught in a fireball.
An investigation is ongoing into how the explosion, confined to a small room in a converted articulated lorry caravan on the campsite of a travelling circus, came to happen on October 23.
Months on from the incident, the acrobat’s condition has stabilised in hospital in Wythenshawe, Manchester.
Mr Karani, a performer in Gerry Cottle’s Wow! Circus which played at The Globe Theatre, Blackpool Pleasure Beach, last year was caught in a flashback fire leaving him with severe burns.
A spokesman for University Hospital of South Manchester NHS Foundation Trust said the patient was in a “stable” condition.
Coun Gillian Campbell, Cabinet Member for Public Protection, said: “I’m glad to hear that Mr Karani is recovering from this awful accident.
“Our officers have been to speak to him in hospital.
“The case has been passed to us from the police and we are in the process of completing our investigations.”
Blackpool Council was assisted at the scene by police and specialists from the Health and Safety Executive’s safety laboratories after the incident last year.
The explosion happened in the caravan the Kenyan had been living in alongside other performers from the travelling show on Burton Road Industrial Estate, Marton.
The member of acrobatic group The Kenyan Warriors ran from his caravan, screaming in Kenyan for help.
He was taken by ambulance to Royal Preston Hospital before being airlifted to Wythenshawe where he remains.