Cigarette fire drama leads to evacuation

Firefighter strike fears (below) Chris Molloy, the FBU's Blackpool representative.
Firefighter strike fears (below) Chris Molloy, the FBU's Blackpool representative.
0
Have your say

A busy Blackpool bar had to be evacuated after a fire broke out in the wall cavity – believed to have been started by a smouldering cigarette butt.

Firefighters were called to Walkabout Bar in Queen Street on Saturday around 7.15pm after the small fire was spotted by doormen in the club.

The doormen had attempted to put the fire out themselves but were forced to call fire crews after efforts failed.

A spokesman for Blackpool Fire Station said: “It looked like someone had flicked a cigarette and it had somehow got into the wall cavity of the bar.

“It had then smouldered for around an hour, along with other rubbish and was eventually spotted by doormen who attempted to put it out.

“When they couldn’t they called us and the bar was evacuated – we smashed through the wall and extinguished the fire.

“The bar was closed for around an hour before re-opening with no injuries reported.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.