Cigarette clue to market stall fire

editorial image
0
Have your say

A FIRE which damaged a market stall in central Blackpool may have been caused by a discarded cigarette, according to firefighters.

Two crews from Blackpool and South Shore fire stations were sent to the stall which sells souvenirs on Bonny Street around 1.20am yesterday.

It is thought rubbish behind the stall had been ignited by a discarded cigarette and the flames then spread to the stall.

Geoff Etheridge, watch manager from South Shore fire station, said: “A couple of panels of the stall’s hoarding were on fire when we arrived. It had also spread to the lock-up for the market.

“There was rubbish which had accumulated behind the stall – the likelihood is someone has flicked a cigarette around there and it has sparked a fire.”

Firefighters used a hose reel to put the blaze out.

The fire caused damage to the stall’s hoarding and lock-up.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.