Children rescued after kitchen fire

Firefighter strike fears (below) Chris Molloy, the FBU's Blackpool representative.
Firefighter strike fears (below) Chris Molloy, the FBU's Blackpool representative.
0
Have your say

Firefighers had to rescue three children who were sleeping as a fire broke out in the kitchen downstairs.

The children’s mother had fallen asleep after turning the grill on in the early hours of Sunday morning at a home on Buxton Avenue, Bispham.

The children were aged 14, six and four.

Watch manager Michael Spencer at Bispham Fire Station said the woman had been drinking.

He added: “There was a lot of smoke in the house, which did have a working smoke alarm at the bottom of the stairs, but there wasn’t one at the top of the stairs to wake the children who were asleep.

“It is important smoke alarms are fitted in the right place so you will hear them when they detect a potential fire.

“It is also important not to cook when you have been drinking.”

Free smoke alarms can be requested by calling 0800 169 1234.