DCSIMG

Candles spark house fire

Latest News

Latest News

A bedroom fire started at a Blackpool home after a lit candle set fire to curtains.

Firefighters were called to the incident around 10.30pm last night in Marchwood Road, Grange Park.

Four people managed to leave the property, but a family cat was killed.

Severe damage was caused to the bedroom in the home, with smoke damage to the first floor and further damage to the ground floor kitchen.

Watch manager Pat Thompson, of Blackpool Fire Station said: “We believe it was accidental.

“The fire started in the bedroom of the property and we believe was started by a candle left on the window sill.

“The family living there have had a problem with their electricity, so were using candles to light the home.

“No-one was injured and four people left the property, but a cat was later found dead.

“The incident highlights the care which needs to be taken when using candles, but also the use of smoke alarms.

“The home did not have a smoke alarm on the first floor, which could possibly have prevented this.”

If you want a smoke alarm fitting at home, free of charge, contact Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service on 0800 1691125.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page