Party guests are welcome

The Malibu Hotel on Albert Road in Blackpool and (below) Mark Marshall of Trading Standards.

The Malibu Hotel on Albert Road in Blackpool and (below) Mark Marshall of Trading Standards.

0
Have your say

LICENSING chiefs today stressed the forced closure of a party hotel does not mean they are targeting Blackpool’s stag and hen trade.

A closure notice was served against The Malibu Hotel on Albert Road on Friday following a catalogue of complaints about the anti-social behaviour of guests.

Mark Marshall of Trading Standards

Mark Marshall of Trading Standards

But Mark Marshall, licensing health and safety manager at Blackpool Council, said groups are welcome in the resort – so long as hoteliers are be able to control them.

He told The Gazette: “We’re not making a judgement on stag and hens.

“This is a managerial issue where the guests were affecting the quality of life of individuals who visit, live and run businesses in the area.”

Click here to register with The Gazette website to enable you to comment on stories.

The council successfully applied for a closure order which will remain in place until a full hearing in four weeks time. It was the first time Asbo laws had been used against a Blackpool hotel.

The Malibu is also due to have its licence reviewed by the council for the second time in six months.

Around 100 guests had been booked in for last weekend, and were forced to find alternative accommodation.

Some stayed with other hoteliers on Albert Road who today spoke of their relief at the closure.

Adrian Smurthwaite, of The Albany Hotel, said: “It was a lot quieter at the weekend and we’re very pleased the council has taken this action.

“A lot of hotels take stag and hens, but The Malibu had about 100 of them and those kind of numbers are just not manageable.”

Val Wallace, of The Astoria which is next door to The Malibu, said: “All he had to do was respect us. It’s not that we wanted him shut down, we just wanted peace for our guests.”

Since January this year, around 400 pages of damning evidence against the venue had been collected.

Incidents included guests shouting and swearing, nudity in the street, excessive noise and rowdy disturbances culminating in reports of fighting in the street in the early hours of Easter Sunday.

The Malibu’s owner Jonathan Hartley says he has invested £250,000 in the property and said he had done everything the council had asked of him.

He added last month: “Our guests are simply here to enjoy themselves and enjoy what Blackpool offers.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.