Controversial pub closes after hours cut

The Lime Lounge on Bispham Rd, Cleveleys which has closed for business.
The Lime Lounge on Bispham Rd, Cleveleys which has closed for business.
0
Have your say

PUB bosses today confirmed a controversial venue is closed – but say they are looking to find new management as soon as possible.

Indian and Thai fusion restaurant the Lime Lounge, in Cleveleys, had its licence reviewed by Wyre Council’s Licensing Committee on December 13 because of 50 complaints to the police since November 2010.

James Veevers and Gemma Thorpe had planned to celebrate New Year's Eve at Lime Lounge in Cleveleys but were not notified that they had closed down.  They are pictured with dog Tatty.

James Veevers and Gemma Thorpe had planned to celebrate New Year's Eve at Lime Lounge in Cleveleys but were not notified that they had closed down. They are pictured with dog Tatty.

The committee ordered the bar to reduce its opening hours and voted for the restaurant’s supervisor to be removed from their position.

And a spokesman for Enterprise Inns, which owns the building, today said: “We can confirm Lime Lounge is temporarily closed, but we aim for the pub to resume trading as soon as possible.”

It comes as one Blackpool couple’s first New Year together was marred with disappointment when they found the restaurant they booked a romantic meal at had closed down.

Gemma Thorpe made the booking at the Lime Lounge at the beginning of December, but when she and boyfriend James Veevers showed up on December 31 the restaurant was in darkness.

Miss Thorpe, of Patterdale Avenue, Marton, said a typed note was pinned to the door saying the venue had been closed since December 20.

The 29-year-old said: “We’d never been to Lime Lounge before but I’d heard good things about it and we decided to try it out. We were looking forward to going.”

Instead the couple had to call around restaurants in Blackpool, and finally made it to Toast in the town centre.

Miss Thorpe, a youth development assistant at Groundwork, which supports the Prince’s Trust, said she had tried to confirm her booking, but the phone had gone unanswered. She said finding the restaurant closed had put a “dampener” on the evening.

She added: “We didn’t know if we could get in anywhere else at such short notice. Instead of meeting up with James’ family we had a look around town but we weren’t feeling it, so we were home for 11.30pm.”

A report to licensing chiefs said there was a “persistent catalogue of breaches which were significant and serious”.

The new conditions were not due to come into effect until January 10.