Bus fire sparks evacuation

editorial image
0
Have your say

PASSENGERS had to be evacuated after flames broke out in the engine of the double decker bus they were travelling on.

Smoke quickly filled the passenger compartment of the Number nine service as it was travelling along Talbot Road.

Fire crews were called to the incident just after 10.15pm on Saturday.

Crew manager Ian Richards, of Blackpool Fire Station, said: “The driver started to lose power and then the engine caught fire.

“He pulled over and did a good job getting everyone quickly off the bus.”

The double-decker had about six passengers on board, when the flames broke out.

Police closed the road while firefighters put out the blaze and cleared the smoke.

It is believed an electrical fault caused the fire.