Blaze was ‘so hot it melted the window’

Firefighters were called to a blaze on Neville Avenue, Cleveleys, on Sunday night.
Firefighters were called to a blaze on Neville Avenue, Cleveleys, on Sunday night.
5
Have your say

A large fire that caused the bedroom window of a house in Cleveleys to fall out was started by a candle, firefighters today said.

Within seconds the room of the property, on Neville Avenue, was ablaze after a dressing gown caught fire.

Firefighters, who were called at 11.30pm on Sunday, ruled the fire was started accidentally.

Watch manager Mick Treece-Birch, of Bispham fire station, said: “I couldn’t believe it – when we got there was lots of black smoke issuing from a first floor window.

“A candle was lit ana minute later there were three-foot flames at the back of the door.

“There was smoke down to the floor and it has melted the window, which has then fallen out – it was that hot.

“We want to get the message across how vital it is to have a smoke alarm.

“Especially at this time of year, when people are using candles, it is important to use correct candle holders, keep combustibles away from the flame and never leave the room while they are lit.”

One man was treated for smoke inhalation. His partner and daughter were unharmed.