Blackpool unsafe gas warning

Gas safety
Gas safety
0
Have your say

One in five homes in Blackpool have unsafe gas appliances in them, according to new figures.

The statistics, released by the Gas Safe Register, also showed appliances in one in 25 Blackpool homes which had been surveyed were immediately dangerous – meaning if left unchecked were at risk of causing a gas fire, explosion, leak or carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

The Register had also launched an interactive gas map, which identifies the most dangerous postcodes in the UK.

Russell Kramer, chief executive for Gas Safe Register, said: “”Gas safety is a life or death matter and something that shouldn’t be ignored.

“People are aware of the potential risks of unsafe gas work and they know what they should be doing to keep themselves safe, but as our research has found, not everyone is acting on that information.”

More than 1,000 have been injured by gas-related incidents in the last three years, while 31 people have died.

To find out how safe your area is visit the interactive gas map at www.staygassafe.co.uk