THE family of a tragic crash victim are urging drivers to take more care looking out for motorcyclists on the roads.
Andrew Kendrick, 29, from St Annes, died at home eight years after suffering serious head injuries in a motorcycle accident.
An inquest into his death heard his family dedicated their life to his recovery but despite having 24-hour care, the young dad died after tragically choking on some food.
Mr Kendrick was in a coma for more than a year after the accident in November 2002, on Holmfield Road, Blackpool – just three weeks before his daughter, Charlotte, was born.
His family told The Gazette: “We are still grieving the untimely death of Andrew. And for nearly the last nine years have been constantly helping him recover from his accident.
“Any drivers reading this please take care to look at junctions.
“Sadly for the first five years Andrew was very unresponsive. He could hear and understand but his brain wouldn’t allow his body to respond.
“Very small responses such as blinking or a finger movement spurred us on to bring him home.
“Since coming home and having constant care from good carers he was improving daily.”
The inquest heard Mr Kendrick had undergone tests which found he had a strong cough reflex which meant he could be fed pureed food.
Louis Mannino, one of Mr Kendrick’s friends who had trained to become one of his carers following the accident, explained how he became distressed while he was being fed chicken and chutney at lunchtime on April 26.
His carers pulled him forward and slapped him on the back. They dialled 999 and then tried in vain to resuscitate Mr Kendrick.
The inquest heard the cause of death was aspiration pneumonia due to inhalation of gastric content which was a result of traumatic brain injury suffered in the motorbike accident.
Blackpool deputy coroner Christopher Beverley recorded a verdict of accidental death.
His family – who work with Headway, the charity which offers support to people with brain injuries – added: “The verdict has only brought us more sadness especially as on the morning of his death he had been so determined to throw a ball at his skittles.
“He never gave up during any physio session and always tried his hardest to improve.
“Any brain injury is a slow recovery time but small things like his first smile, recently laughing out loud, shaving himself and brushing his own teeth meant so much to us.
“Headway Blackpool has regular meetings at the Independent Living Centre on Whitegate Drive. Anybody is welcome, don’t struggle and worry at home.”