Bedroom blaze started by cigarette lighter

editorial image
0
Have your say

THE occupants of a flat in Poulton escaped unhurt after a blaze started in a bedroom.

Firefighters called to the property in Breck Road on New Year’s Day administered first aid to one person, but admitted the situation could have been “much worse.”

A spokesman said: “They have been very lucky, this could have been very serious.

“Fortunately it was a flat and the occupants were in the next room to where the fire started and spotted it before it took hold.”

It is thought a resident was lighting candles in the bedroom and put a cigarette lighter down on the bed while it was still hot.

The fire was extinguished before the fire brigade arrived, causing just slight damage to bedding. The person needing first aid did not require paramedic of hospital treatment.

The spokesman said: “The fire alarm system was activated, but the occupants had already dealt with the fire by then.

“Can we just underline how important it is that people fit smoke alarms in their homes and test them regularly.

“We carry out free fire safety checks and householders can contact us on 0800 169 1125.”