Barbecue warning after blaze drama

South Shore watch manager Geoff Etheridge has warned of the dangers of BBQs.
South Shore watch manager Geoff Etheridge has warned of the dangers of BBQs.
0
Have your say

A firefighter has issued a warning about barbecues after a fire in Marton.

South Shore watch manager Geoff Etheridge says people should leave barbecue coals to burn out overnight before moving their barbecues back inside.

It comes after a woman was left with smoke inhalation-related injuries and her house left without power or water following a blaze on Sunday .

Mr Etheridge said: “We’re in barbecue season and what’s happened is the people thought the coals from the barbecue went out.

“They’ve put it in the garage which has subsequently ignited and has set fire to other items in the garage. There’s quite a bit of damage there.”

A BMW in the garage was left smoke damaged, while the fire also caused a pipe to burst leaving the home, in Strathdale, without water.

The woman who discovered the blaze was treated at the scene by paramedics but did not require further attention.

Mr Etheridge said: “In this case she did the right thing.

“She heard some of the noise coming from the garage and investigated, then shut the door on the fire and raised the alarm.

“What the fire service would say is just leave coals on the barbecue and then discard them the day after - just leave them to burn out overnight.

“These things do happen and we’ve got the rest of the summer to get that message out there.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.