RESIDENTS were lucky to be alive today after a second-storey walkway at a block of flats collapsed.
The incident happened at around 1.30pm when the ageing balcony crashed inwards, damaging a gas main which began to leak.
Some residents had to be carried away from their apartments by firefighters using ladders after they were left stranded.
They were taken to nearby Tarnside Day Centre, many in shock.
One resident said the incident had been an accident waiting to happen.
FOR FULL STORY SEE WEDNESDAY’S GAZETTE.