Anger over damage to Promenade

Prom works cartoon

Prom works cartoon

0
Have your say

DAMAGE to Blackpool’s multi-million pound Promenade has been branded “beyond acceptable” by the resort’s council leader.

Coun Simon Blackburn says he resents the additional cost and inconvenience caused by blunders in the scheme.

Now town hall highways chiefs are set to hold meetings with the contractors and the project’s designers in a bid to find a solution.

The Gazette exclusively revealed on Friday at least 14 potholes, broken paving slabs and sunken areas had appeared on the stretch of shared space between New Bonny Street and Talbot Square, as well as other minor defects.

Coun Blackburn said: “The ongoing saga of the new Prom continues.

“While it is to be expected there would be some settling of the road, the damage that has been highlighted by The Gazette goes beyond what I would consider to be acceptable.

“We hope to be able to finalise the audits that have been carried out in respect of disabled accessibility and safety within the next fortnight. At that stage we will sit down with the contractors and the original designers and establish a way forward.

“While I’m growing accustomed to cleaning up the mess left by the last administration, I do resent the additional budget pressures and inconvenience to Blackpool residents which essential repairs and remodelling will inevitably cause.”

Conservative group leader Coun Peter Evans said the fault lay with the contractors not the Tory administration.

He said: “I have been at the forefront of raising concerns about what has gone wrong.

“But it is obvious it’s the quality of the materials that have been used which has caused the problems and my belief is any remedial work will be done at the expense of the contractor.

“There may be some cost regarding any tweeking of the scheme but you can only go on the advice you are getting and assume it is going to be right.”

The new Prom is part of the £14m Festival Headland which also includes the Comedy Carpet.

It has been designed for use by both traffic and pedestrians.

An independent assessment of the new layout was ordered by councillors last August in the wake of complaints from residents and disabled groups about its safety.

There was outcry when the road was closed until June last year to enable the work to be carried out.