It looked very different when it first opened 175 years ago.
And while the appearance and people have changed, the popularity of Fleetwood Market – based at Victoria/Adelaide Street – is still as strong as ever.
There are shopping trips organised from across Lancashire to Fleetwood Market, such is its reputation.
Market Rights were first granted in the port in 1275, but it was 1840 before they were exercised by Sir Peter Hesketh-Fleetwood.
The original market area was bound with a stone wall, with wooden access gates at each end.
In the middle of the open area, was a basic wooden building with a slate roof – providing shelter for the stalls, from which local people sold farm produce and traders from Manchester sold textiles and clothing. A weekly open cattle market was later added.
Following Sir Peter’s death, the market was sold to the town of Fleetwood, in 1890.
Two years later, the present stone building was erected – which included offices and living accommodation for staff.
Over the years, further improvements to the market have been made – including a major extension in 1990 and the demolition of the police station and magistrates’ court.
Today the market is as popular as ever – selling goods from computer accessories to clothing, cosmetics to crockery.
It also hosts events, such as live music acts at the outdoor market, Halloween crafts and a Santa’s Grotto.
Find out more by calling (01253) 887651 or visit www.wyremarkets.co.uk