Dramatic change in former school landscape

The shuttered Marton and Mereside Youth and Community Centre, South Point', on Bowness Avenue, Mereside on the site of the long-demolished Little Marton School, seen below in 1953
The shuttered Marton and Mereside Youth and Community Centre, South Point', on Bowness Avenue, Mereside on the site of the long-demolished Little Marton School, seen below in 1953
0
Have your say

The shutters are, presumably, a sign of the times, protecting all that is within from vandals.

Marton and Mereside Youth and Community Centre is a single storey brick structure on the stretch of Bowness Avenue between Branstree Road and Clifton Road.

Little Marton School, Bowness Avenue, Mereside, in 1953 and, below, the shuttered Marton and Mereside Youth and Community Centre on the same site today

Little Marton School, Bowness Avenue, Mereside, in 1953 and, below, the shuttered Marton and Mereside Youth and Community Centre on the same site today

But turn the clock back 60 years when that area was much more rural than today and look at the building on that same spot.

Few landscapes can have changed more dramatically than this short stretch of road which once housed Little Marton School.

On Sundays the building was used for worship by the congregation of St Wilfrid’s until they eventually had their own church on Langdale Road.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.